RE: Fuel Filter: (Was Re: New problem: Lack of Power)

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Tue Nov 12 1996 - 07:19:51 EST

From: bharper@xtdl.com@INTERNET on Mon, Nov 11, 1996 10:18 PM

>>Try a new fuel filter first. I've seen this before on both my Dakota and
>>my Chevy van. New fuel filter did the trick
>
>I have been meaning to do this for a while now, and noticed that on the
>package of the filter that pressure must be released from the system before
>you do this to prevent "bodily injury". How is this doon, and are there
>any other precautions I should take?

There is a Schrader valve (with a cap on it) on the fuel rail that you can
use to release pressure. I just pinch off the rubber hose on either side of
the fuel filter with vise grips, easier and less mess. Also, if you have
never replaced the filter get a couple of new hose clamps before you start.
The factory ones are junk.

Dave Clement
89 4x4 LE