Re: Pinging on 87 Octane??

From: Jules Glogovcsan (jghunter@nol.net)
Date: Fri Nov 15 1996 - 17:56:06 EST

Michael Clark wrote:

> > Rap out the truck with the MP
> > SBEC and it's a different story! (You will still get pinging above 4200-4500 rpm
> > with 92 octane!! You have to add a can of 104+ booster to correct this.)
> >

> I have the MP SBEC and experience this problem on 92 octane. Will this
> harm the engine, or shorten the life expectancy? 104+ gets expensive
> with every tankfull of gas. Is there any other "fix" for this besides
> 104+. (besides going back to the stock SBEC)? Thanks for any help.

down here at the shop... we offer an ignition add-on that will retard
the knocking cylinder and let any others that can handle lead run with
it. On a 96 Indy ram w/4.11, SBEC, 1.7s, FIPK, our TBI, & our MSD/MPI
kit... that runs 9.60 in 1/8th and pings all too often and all too
much... it 100%, totally cured all and any detonation. The owner came
by tonite and was in hog-heaven... nuff said...step up and try good gas
often to keep injectors as clean as possible...I run only 92 in all my
efi type vehicles... 87 may be a few cents cheaper... but not in the
long run...

--

Jules/MPI 99 Tech Central Dodgeville, RAM USA