Re: Pinging on 87 Octane??

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 1996 - 09:31:24 EST

> step up and try good gas
> often to keep injectors as clean as possible...I run only 92 in all my
> efi type vehicles... 87 may be a few cents cheaper... but not in the
> long run...

  According to the Gasoline FAQ:

"[Gasoline] additive packages are matched
to the engines using the fuel, for example intake valve deposit
control additive concentrations may be increased in the premium
octane grade."

lending some credence to Jules' purchase of premium gasoline.
However, I've been led to believe that the detergent packages
in name brand gasolines have been pretty much standardized across
all grades. I yanked the injectors on my wife's '91 Nissan after
a 5 year diet of 87 octane, and was surprised to find nothing
more than a very thin layer of crud at the nozzle (definitely
less than 1mm thick).

  So I don't feel too bad running 87 in my stock 318 Dakota.

  Ron