Re: Manual tranny dipstick?

From: James Babcock (james.a.babcock@relay.adn.alcatel.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 1996 - 08:42:18 EST

I've never heard of a manual tranny with a dipstick. Usually there
is a fill plug in the side of the tranny case that will accept the
square end of a 3/8" or 1/2" ratchet. It works on the same idea as
the lube level of the differential...remove the plug with the vehicle
on a level surface and add lube until it starts to run out the opening.

Actually, this reminds me...I've seen two different procedures for
the diff level check in the 'offical' Chrysler service manual. One
says that the vehicle should be on a level surface, and the other
says that the vahicle should be on a hoist with the rear suspension
hanging slack. There is also a warning about adding too much lube
since it will cause frothing and consequently overheating. FWIW --
I use Drydene gear lube in my diff. The stuff claims to be MIL spec,
so I figure it's got to be good. I filled the level of the lube to
the bottom of the filler with the truck headed up a slight incline.
And...(boy this is getting long) my gears make some noise that is
noticable even with the cab closed up. It's kind of a whirring sound
and doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I've heard that some noise
will always be present although it sounds like some folks on the list
certainly have diff problems based on the descriptions of the noise
that they have.

Have a good day.

-Jim.
'87 v6 auto 4x4