transfer case noise

From: Brent Cring (CringB@smtp.nvg.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 1996 - 10:28:45 EST

>>>>>>>>>Jeff Stewart 11/15/96>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

   Front transfer case noise(squeal)

First thing to check is to make sure the oil is to the bottom of the fill plug
on the transfer case, and that the fluid in the transfer case is ATF, red
color. Another quick thing to do is to spray a little WD-40 on the front
u-joint rubber seals, sometimes these seals dry out and sequel and it
sounds like a transfer case sequel. I have seen this occur on several
RAMs. If neither of these fix the sequel then you need to try to pinpoint
when the noise occurs.

When does the noise occur?
    2 wd only
    4 wd hi only
    4 wd lo only
    All positions

Let me know what you find and try to give you some possible causes of
the noise and the solution. It is kind of hard to do this with me hearing the
noise, but I try to help.

Brent Cring
NVG engineer
91 V-8 4x4