Update (was: Pinging on 87 Octane??)

From: Sam (sam_p@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 1996 - 19:28:41 EST

You wrote:

*snip*
>I have to use 93 at the pump with my SBEC. 92 does ping a little, and 87
>is out of the question... Some Gas stations try selling 92 as their
>premium gas, same price!! Most sell 93 now...
>
>Alan 94,V8,5spd,MP,SBEC,Flowmaster

    Well, I had everything checked out... Nothing found. I replaced my stock SBEC
with the MP SBEC once again... The truck ran fine. I think possibly that I had a
'fuel' contamination problem, so I got a bottle of STP FI Super Concentrate (WoW!)
and poured it into the tank, ALONG with a Bottle of SUPER 104+ (First time I have
used 104+ with the SBEC). Well...

    No pinging (@ ANY RPM!)...no surging... So far so good.. Kinda funny thing
happened though...

    I got onto the freeway from Convoy St., to Hwy 52 east (here in San Diego,
CA.) and started the task of jamming through the gears... I got a gooood run
through 3rd gear (5500 rpm...generally in ping-pong-ping rattle-rattle land, but
not this time!!), when I went to 4th gear a BEE hit the windshield (EXACTLY at eye
level!) Sooo Hard, that it exploded to the diameter of a tennis ball, plus it
scared the CRAP out of me!!! I laughed all the way home... (sorry BEE!)

    Where can anyone get 93 octane in Cal??? I have yet to find it.

    Oh yeah, to the few people that I sent the *.wav files... Did you get them??
If so, how'd they sound??? I got K.'s, and it sounded like my truck!! Next time
I will change how I recorded them to make 'em smaller.

    Later!

    ...Sam '95 SLT (MP back in---> ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!)