Re: Pinging on 87 Octane

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Mon Nov 18 1996 - 10:00:15 EST

> Because of the giant
> difference in price locally between 87 and 93 octane gas (1.10 vs 1.30 per
> gallon) i've been running a lot of 87. I haven't noticed any pinging, even
> on the few occasions where I really floor it

  Funny things, these mailing lists. I always run 87 fuel in my bone-
stock '95 Dakota with 318, haven't had any problems (except when I've
gotten tanks of bad gas), and don't hesitate to share my experience
with y'all.

  So I fill up after work on Friday, and notice this subtle ping
during hard acceleration on the 2->3 shift. Futt the wuck?! I
shut off the stereo and try a few runs. It appears that I've got
a pronounced knock when the advance curve kicks in around 3000rpm
during acceleration, and when I hit the gas in 5th speed around
1500rpm.

  <grumble> It is possible I've gotten a load of bunk gas, but
I doubt it as I've been buying gas at this particular location
with no problems for a couple of years. Maybe they've started
buying black market gas, I don't know.

  Rather, I suspect that this area of North Carolina has switched
over to the winter formula gas, and the increased volatility is
causing me to ping. I must be a borderline case. Guess I'll
try a few tanks of 89 octane and see what happens.

  Ron