Re: Pinging on 87 Octane

From: Sam (sam_p@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Nov 18 1996 - 11:43:08 EST

You wrote:

>> Because of the giant
>> difference in price locally between 87 and 93 octane gas (1.10 vs 1.30 per
>> gallon) i've been running a lot of 87. I haven't noticed any pinging, even
>> on the few occasions where I really floor it
>
> Funny things, these mailing lists. I always run 87 fuel in my bone-
>stock '95 Dakota with 318, haven't had any problems (except when I've
>gotten tanks of bad gas), and don't hesitate to share my experience
>with y'all.
>
> So I fill up after work on Friday, and notice this subtle ping
>during hard acceleration on the 2->3 shift. Futt the wuck?! I
>shut off the stereo and try a few runs. It appears that I've got
>a pronounced knock when the advance curve kicks in around 3000rpm
>during acceleration, and when I hit the gas in 5th speed around
>1500rpm.

    Ahh... Been there, done that. My '95 5.2, 5spd did the same thing from
time to time... I added the MP SBEC, and 92 octane, and only during hard 4000+
(3rd, 4th or 5th) RPM runs did it ping...and even then you could control it.
Sometimes a tank of the 'good stuff' will even things out on the stock SBEC, and
then go back to 87 octane. Remember, gas storage tanks do get dirt/grime/etc. in
then and corrode (that's why gas stations are torn down every 3-5 years, then
'rebuilt', they have to replace the in ground tanks). I have just figured out
that the gas station where I last bought gas (where we buy gas for all of my work
vehicles for YEARS), got me. All of the problems with my truck running poorly
(even on 92 octane) was related to that gas station. Both of our work vans bought
gas there within 1 day of me, and both vans have been reported as 'missing' from
time to time since then.

    Try a different gas station, and see if it continues (with 87 octane.)

    ...Sam '95 SLT