Re: undeliverables (and my trip to Texas)

From: Jon N. Steiger (stei0302@penny.cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 18 1996 - 20:53:25 EST

>Jon,
>
>Everytime I mail the Dakota list, I get 8-10 'undeliverable message'
>notices back. Some are full mailboxes, which may just be folks on
>vacation, but others seem to be bad or old addresses. Can you
>unsuscribe these folks, and clear some of the clutter?

   Yep. I usually try and stay on top of the bad addresses, unsubscribing
them when they are no longer valid. I went to Texas last week (I live
in New York), so I haven't had 'net access for that time. I apologize for
the garbage messages, and I'll get to them as soon as I can.

   In case anyone is interested: Yes, I did make the trip in the Dakota
(3300 miles round trip). Went through western New York, Pennsylvania,
Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, and finally Texas. My worst
gas mileage was up near Cleveland (went through that little storm of
theirs) with 9.5mpg. I averaged about 10-10.5 after that, and once I
got further south (and out of the hills of Kentucky), I averaged about
11-11.5. I was pulling about 3,600lbs worth of trailer on the way down,
and about 4,000lbs on the way back.

   The Dakota performed quite admirably. Passing full size Chevys and
Fords pulling trailers of their own, while going uphill felt pretty
good. ;) I was also markedly faster than many of the econo-cars
I saw also. Must be kind of a weird sight seeing a truck pulling a huge
trailer walking away from everyone else at the stoplight... :)

   I got a class IV hitch installed (along with the electronic brake
controller, electronics, etc) at an aftermarket place. My father picked
up the trailer while I was at work, and the sales rep rode in the truck
with him to demonstrate how the electronic brake controller worked. Anyway,
during this test ride, the dealer was really impressed with the Dakota.
He said that he had pulled the same trailer with Fords who were wheezing
along, while the Dakota manhandled the thing, barely aware that it was
attached to 3,500lbs. :)

  Ok, I'll shut up now. :) Sorry again for the undeliverable messages;
I'll get on those right away.

                                              -Jon-

  | Jon Steiger | '96 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 |
  | stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu | '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |
  | http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ | '91 Yamaha FZR600R * |
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ |
                                                      * == For Sale!