Re: 5spd-sure grip

From: TeamGTZ@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 20 1996 - 19:10:29 EST

In a message dated 96-11-20 09:30:55 EST, acasey@io.com (Alan Casey) writes:

<< Did your truck come standard with "sure grip diff" I could'nt find one in
 Austin when I bought mine. If you wanted limited slip you had to buy the
 automatic with the 3.90. Oh well, The diff is what I am currently saving
 up for. Has anyone had any practice installing one? I have no idea what it
 will take. But I would be willing to try, So far the cheapest place I have
 found that will do it for me wants $700. Wow! The parts cost $300. So it
 makes me wonder how difficult it is... Thats a lot of labor...
 Also I have heard three different names for the differential. "Limited
 slip","Sure Grip" and "Brute strength posi" by Auburn. Are these all
 basically the same thing?? >>

The diff made for the Dak by Dana, is the Sure-Grip (sounds a little too much
like dental adhesive, but anyway....) was not available in August of '94 when
I special ordered my 5 spd V8 club cab 2wd (for sale BTW!). I was told that
due to the massive increase in Dodge truck orders, CC was backordered with
Dana and the parts wouldn't be available for at least a couple of months. I
got it with the standard diff (what a joke!) and 3.55 gears. I then ordered
the SG carrier from "Dakota Country" (Barrington Dodge in IL) for ~$225 and
had it installed at a local performance trans shop for a couple of hours cost
in labor. Strange that the SG was only available in your area with auto,
since stick is the preferred mode for heavy towing, as is SG......