Rustproofing... -Reply

From: Scott Lemser (SLEMSER@Compucom)
Date: Mon Nov 25 1996 - 17:34:36 EST

>>> "Actor Troy McClure" writes:

I've been wondering if I should have my new Dakota rust-proofed
when
it's delivered. The truck will be driven year-round so it'll
encounter its fair share of road salt. Is it worth the extra $300 to
have a local shop rustproof the beast before I take it out on the
road? One person told me that the sheetmetal on the new vehicles
is
of a much higher quality than the old days and is more resistant to
rust. Soooo, should I have it sprayed or will it survive on its own?
What you do guys (and gals) north of the border think about this?

=Scott Vieth http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/~scottv
'68 Camaro RS, 327/PG
'97 Dakota Sport 4x4 Club Cab, Magnum V8/5-spd (on order)

Do not have it undercoated. The metal is already treated to
"Rust-Inhibitors" . In many cases, undercoating can actually cause
more harm than it prevents.
Water, either from leaks in the bed, condensation or bubbles can get
between the undercoat and result in severe rusting.
Your best bet is to wash the underside of your truck with a high
pressure sprayer. This will break down any road salts or other
corrosive materials.
Scott Lemser