RE: Fuel Injector Cleaner

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Tue Nov 26 1996 - 17:38:13 EST

From: ragnew@islandnet.com@INTERNET on Tue, Nov 26, 1996 5:17 PM

>I guess that leaves the question .... although it will run on 87 octane, is
>the Dakota programmed for higher octane and the computer retards the timing
>to use 87? I certainly don't want to waste dollars on higher octane fuel
if
>there is no gain.
>
>I've noticed that some contributors to this list have indicated that their
>Daks run much better on higher octane fuel.

Well there are manufacturing variations that may result in one engine being
happier on a higher octane than what is specified but I can't believe that
the engineers at CC would design an engine that needs say 92 octane and then
tell you that it's ok to run it on 87 and count on the knock sensor to take
care of detonation.

My recomendation is if the truck is happy on 87 don't waste your money on
higher octane. The detergent content on the major brands are the same
between grades now a days so that is not a consideration anymore.

Just a point to remember; Increasing the octane is not increasing the energy
potential of the gas. Octane is added to control the volitility. Higher
octane full is less likely to ignite due to hot spots in the cylinder
(causing knock) and burns at a more controlled rate. In theory any given
engine should be more fuel efficient on a lower octane fuel than a higher
one (not that you could ever see the difference in the real world).

Dave Clement