RE: Starters

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Tue Dec 03 1996 - 08:15:38 EST

From: James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM@INTERNET on Mon, Dec 2, 1996 7:44 PM

>Given the condition of the motor, I couldn't justify the $300+ they wanted
>for a rebuilt unit, so I fabricated some copper pole pieces (with a good
deal
>more contact area than stock, BTW) from some scrap I picked up at the
metals
>surplus here in town [Handy Metal Mart in National City, CA] and everything
>has been working great for 30K miles now.

I guess I won't complain. I was pissed when they told me the Bosch rebuilt
was $52.00 and I needed the $110.00 Japanese version. If it had been an
easier looking job I would have cleaned up the solinoid but in my old age I
do not want to have to take it out again.

>Chris is absolutely correct - it is a real *itch to swap the starter on the
>4x4, mainly because of poor access to the mounting bolts (front axle's in
>the way). As I recall, several extensions were needed. It IS easier the
second
>time around.

Any good hints. I plan to swap the starters this week. The FSM states you
need to get the steering column disconnected and out of the way for working
room. Seems like the way to go. It looked to me the an extension just long
enough to clear the end of the starter with a short handle ratchet would be
the hot ticket. Did you use several with universals and such to get the
ratchet up and out of the way?

Dave Clement