Higher Octane

From: Ken L Mansfield (KMansfie@compucom.com)
Date: Mon Dec 02 1996 - 23:37:27 EST

>>> Scott Lemser <SLEMSER@Compucom> 11/27/96 11:45am >>>

<snip>

4. The differences between 87 and 93 octane fuels is slight. If your
vehicle doesn't ping on 87, then don't pay extra for 93.
Scott Lemser

=================

Scott,

Have you ever tried the 100 octane unleaded at the SuperFuels on
I-35 in Carrolton in your Dak? I've thought about it but was unsure
if it would do any damage. I have put it in my motorcycles and
wheeee! Filling a M/C isn't too bad, but at over $3/gal., I'm looking
at $60+ for the Dak.

Is SuperFuels where you got the VP?

klm

attached mail follows:

>>> Rader > Writes:
> the slower burn rate of the higher octane fuel results in maximum
cylinder
> pressure after the optimal time in the engines stroke, thus less
efficiency.

  If anybody has any information on burn rate of fuels with different
octane ratings, I'd love to see it. Every reference I've seen seems
to indicate that there is no significant difference in burn rate
between
lower vs. higher octane fuels (at least in the range available as
pump gas).

  I still agree with Dave, other than that.

  Ron

Without getting defensive, everyone is somewhat correct to a point.
My earlier E-mail was an over-simplification explaining the
characteristics of Fuel properties.
I certainly don't want to make any enemies but,

1. OCTANE is simply a term to describe anti-knock properties in the
same way Horsepower is a term used only to define the amount of
work an engine is capable of producing. Neither are worth their
weight in pig hooey.

2. The "Burn Rate" can in no way delay the action of completely
detonating the cylinders charge beyond the optimal period of an
engines stroke. This process takes less time than Al Bundy needs
to have sex, (if that's possible).

3. The fuel companies want people to think that the Higher the fuels
octane rating generally relates to the power producing properties of
the fuel as well. However, My '71 Trans Am does'nt ping on 93 or 89
octane fuel. But it does run nearly 2 tenths quicker on 114 octane VP
racing gas.