Fuel pump noise ???

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Wed Dec 04 1996 - 02:48:34 EST

I was letting my truck idle while I was airing up the tires tonight, and
I noticed a high pitched whine comming from around the fuel tank. I can
hear it faintly if I stand near the driver side, and if I stick my head
in the rear fender well I can hear it very clearly. I think someone on
the list had said the Dakota has an electric fuel pump in the tank? My
question is, should I be able to hear this? Is it normal for it to make
this sort of noise or is it getting bad? I have about 56k on the
odometer.

Also I have noticed a noise like a lifter tapping, although not as harsh
as a lifter. I believe this is the injectors, which people on the list
has said are very noisy. Could this be something else? Could it be
related to the fuel pump noise, or is the truck fine?

Michael Clark mike@snakebite.com
93, LE, 2wd, reg. cab, SWB
5.2L, Auto, Mopar SBEC, Mark III