Re: "Basic Rule" story from AP

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Wed Dec 04 1996 - 14:47:25 EST

Montana's highway fatalities were still down substantially up
through the fall. Don't know what's happened with all the bad
weather, but speed is not likely to be the cause of death in
snow and ice (disproportionate mass of semis, hitting snow-covered
bridge abutments and banks, head-on collisions, etc.).

This should put the lie to the "speed kills" argument, but of
course it won't.

I believe the "speed variance kills" argument has merit.

I also believe the level of highway fatalities has more to do with
the economy's health, than with posted speed limits. It is also
clear that our interstate highways are the safest place to drive,
and offer the best return on investment -- if the government wants
to save lives, convert more highways to controlled-access freeways!

Jim

I have many opinions, you've just benefitted from one of them - free!