Re: "Basic Rule" story from AP

From: Glenn S. Wiltse (iggy@merit.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 06 1996 - 09:15:51 EST

    I personally would rather know the "speed limit", then have
some subjective rule as to what is safe/legal. At least then I'd
know exactly when i'm braking the law, and how much it`s liable to
cost me if I choose to brake it...

    Personaly if I go to Montana, I think I'll keep it at a resaonable
speed, trying to avoid those cops who are having a bad day or simply
want to ruin my day...

  I sniped a little of the original post to cut down slightly on
bandwidth...

On Wed, 4 Dec 1996, KEN MANSFIELD wrote:

> Instead, Montana has the "basic rule" - a driver may not
> exceed speeds that are "reasonable and
> prudent" for conditions. But the lack of specific numbers has
> been widely misinterpreted as no speed
> limit at all.
>
> "It's interpretive. It's discretionary. It's difficult to explain and
> understand," acknowledged Maj. Steve
> Barry of the Highway Patrol. "There's a lot of variables
> involved."

 Yeah, like if the cop is in a good or bad mood, or if he likes the way
you look or something...