Drive Train Roughness in 4wd

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Mon Dec 09 1996 - 08:36:45 EST

From: Clement_D on Mon, Dec 9, 1996 8:38 AM
Subject: Drive Train Roughness in 4wd

I have noticed a problem in the drive train of my 89 Dakota that I did not
notice last winter. Friday night was the first time I have had the occasion
to use 4wd on the hi-way since last winter and I have developed a roughness
that can best be described as a tire out of balance but I feel it up through
the seat and it is not there in 2wd. The roughness starts as soon as you
engage 4wd and does not stop initially when taken out of 4wd (lever moved to
2wd) but stops after the axle disconnect activates (4wd light goes out). It
is not noticable at speeds less than 30mph and off road.

Here are the things that have changed since last winter;

. Two new tires on the front (were high speed balanced) about amonth ago.
The rears are 1/2 worn so there is about a 3/8-1/2" difference in rolling
diameters between front and rear. The truck runs smooth up to 75-80 mph in
2wd.

. I started to replace the front axle seals, the drivers side went without a
hitch but I could not get the bearing off the axle on the passenger side and
did distort the bearing cage slightly with the puller. I put that side back
together with the original bearing and have ordered a new one. That bearing
is not making any noise and it does spin in 2wd so I would expect if it was
causing the problem it would happen in either 2wd or 4wd.

. I changed the oil, lubed the chassis and checked fluid levels about 2k
miles ago. I did not notice any slop in the front drive shaft universals. I
have not had a chance to get under the truck to check again.

Any ideas or hints would be appreciated.

Dave Clement
89 4x4 LE