RE: Drive train roughness in 4wd

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Tue Dec 10 1996 - 07:36:11 EST

From: BAC0813@ritvax.isc.rit.edu@INTERNET on Mon, Dec 9, 1996 7:34 PM

>The rougness in 4wd could be a result of the slip joint on the front
propshaft
>rusting itself together, resulting in a non-slip joint. It is common for
this
>to occur on a 4wd truck that does not have it 4wd used for a few months.
>Disconnect your frontprop shaft and see if the slip joint is sliding, also
>check the u-joints, they may not have play, but from sitting in one spot
for a
>while and vibrating they may have brinnelled or pitted.

At this point until I vary air pressures to see if it rolling diameter
related I am not going to look further.

BTW, the 4wd drive system is used regularly on my truck (off-road), Friday
was just the first time I used it on pavement during a storm since last
winter. Also, the slip joint and all the universals are greased every 3k
miles when the oil is changed. I am not ruling out any of those componenets
but until I eliminate the effect of the rolling diameter difference I am not
going to look further.

Dave Clement