repost of Overdrive shifting prob

From: mahoneyr@syr.lmco.com
Date: Tue Dec 10 1996 - 08:03:34 EST

Guys;
I know I asked this before, but I need some more info regarding the
shifting into and out of Overdrive after the truck warms up. My initial
post (in part) went as follows:

----- Begin Included Message -----

Dakota guys (and girls!):
At speeds of 65+ and after about 25-35 minutes of warm up, the tranny starts
shifting into and out of overdrive. This is extremely annoying. So I took it
to the dealer, thinking that they had caused a problem that didn't originally
exist when they serviced it and they told me they would look at it. Afterwards
they said they didn't think they 'caused' any problems but... Upon checking
the tranny, they said there was too much fluid in the tranny and sometimes
this could cause 'erratic shifting'. Does this sound possible? they also told
me they hooked it up to the computer and found two codes that could 'possibly'
cause this problem.

1) said the truck was too cold too long!(Thermostat?) and
2) that the "power control Module" indicated a problem (They didn't say what
is was tho.)

Questions:
1) Is is possible that a thermostat could cause this erratic shifting problem?
2) What does the Power Control Module do and does it really cost $175.00?

----- End Included Message -----

Update: I changed the Thermostat and lo and behold... No change. (imagine
my surprize! ;-|) although I'm am back in the center of the temp gauge.

I am still wondering about the Power Control Module.
Is this 175.00 price accurate?
What does it do and is this the possible culprit?
Is the Power Control Module the same as the 'Computer'?
Can I use a multimeter and probe for error codes myself? (is it a digital
code?) or do I need to put the truck on a diagnostic Computer?
Also, Am I damaging anything by driving it in this condition?
I need HELP!
you guys never let me down before... Please respond.
Thanks
-Rick Mahoney