V8 Envy??

From: Don Mattern (mattern@hg.uleth.ca)
Date: Tue Dec 10 1996 - 16:33:43 EST

Thanks to all those who responded to my post.

It seems that the majority of people think that it's a mistake to order
the V6 when you could have the V8 instead (i.e., V8 envy). I must tell
you that a good part of my decision was based on information I got from
my brother in Kamloops, B.C., who has a '92 Dakota LE with a V8. He uses
his truck to pull a 21.5 foot fifth wheel trailer which it does quite
well. The only problem he has had is pulling under load conditions seems
to cause a lot of 'pinging' if he doesn't use higher octane fuel. His
recommendation to me was to go for the better economy of the V6 if I had
no intention of pulling large loads (which I do not). The other factor
in the decision is that my "other" vehicle is a T-Bird Turbo Coupe which
is quite capable of fulfilling all my 'need for speed' cravings; even
though it is a Ford!!

Can anyone in the group (especially Canadian sources) recommend a good
source for after market accessories for the '97 Dakota. I do want to
protect the truck right from the get-go as well as dress it up some.

                                -DFM-