Re: V8 Envy??

From: Robert Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Tue Dec 10 1996 - 17:37:19 EST

> Thanks to all those who responded to my post.
>
> It seems that the majority of people think that it's a mistake to order
> the V6 when you could have the V8 instead (i.e., V8 envy). I must tell
> you that a good part of my decision was based on information I got from
> my brother in Kamloops, B.C., who has a '92 Dakota LE with a V8. He uses
> his truck to pull a 21.5 foot fifth wheel trailer which it does quite
> well. The only problem he has had is pulling under load conditions seems
> to cause a lot of 'pinging' if he doesn't use higher octane fuel. His
> recommendation to me was to go for the better economy of the V6 if I had
> no intention of pulling large loads (which I do not). The other factor
> in the decision is that my "other" vehicle is a T-Bird Turbo Coupe which
> is quite capable of fulfilling all my 'need for speed' cravings; even
> though it is a Ford!!
>
> Can anyone in the group (especially Canadian sources) recommend a good
> source for after market accessories for the '97 Dakota. I do want to
> protect the truck right from the get-go as well as dress it up some.
>
> -DFM-

Don:

The V8 in the 1997 Dakota is much different than the V8 in the
earlier models, including multi-point fuel injection and knock sensors
giving 230 hp. If you want, it will run fine on 87 octane. I'm using 89
octane and averaging 15 mpg city(mostly)/highway. I expect closer to
20 mpg on the highway after a few thousand miles. I understand that the
new V6 has the same go as the earlier V8s.
Chrysler has dress up stuff (I'm getting some mud flaps) but the canopy
manufacturers are just now starting to build caps for the 97s.

Rob Agnew
Victoria, B.C.