97s and Mud

From: Robert P. Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Mon Dec 16 1996 - 22:29:35 EST

Those of you with '97s may have noticed the difference in the door design.
The rocker panel is inside the door when it closes ... ie. the crack is out
of sight underneath the vehicle. This looks great, but it lines up with the
front wheel and guess what, when you drive on gravel or dirt roads, it
throws mud up the crack and onto the inside lower portion of the door.
Apart from being hard to clean, I suspect it could lead to rust down the
road if not attended to regularly.

I talked to my dealer, the flairs don't solve the problem... they have them
on one of their demonstrators. Moulded mud flaps are available (cheap). I
had them installed, it looks like they'll do the job. The black flaps also
look pretty good on my white truck. Hopefully the flaps will also protect
the paint from chipping behind the wheels. I also installed black plastic
rocker panel covers (again cheap) to protect the paint.

I'll let you know how well they work.