Re: Break In (long)

From: Sam (sam_p@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Dec 17 1996 - 18:55:48 EST

    The entire idea of breaking in a vehicle is to allow the parts (moving, both
internal (engine) and external (brakes, u-joints, etc.))
to wear correctly/evenly, especially the piston/rings. Gernerally on
motorcycles/jetskis (I have both), on break in if you run too hard (high rpm), or
run the engine at a constant speed during break in, you stand the change of
'breaking' the rings, or not having them seat properly (aka-blow by).

    I used to deliver VW's (Jettas, GTIs, Vanagons, etc. etc.) for a dealership,
and I would drive cars back to San Diego from all over (San Francisco, Los
Angeles, Bakersfield, Las Vegas, AZ., etc., etc.) (I have driven about 150
VW's!!!) During the drive back I made sure that I always varied my speed, was VERY
good about using the brakes conservatively (to ensure that you don't burn them up,
because they are typically soft when brand new), and after about 100 miles I would
do a short 'burst' to give the car a good range of operating rpm/temperature.
One of the guys I worked for showed me a video on how VW plants in Germany
regularly pulled cars off of the assembly line (at the end), and took them to the
Autobahn, and drove like mad... Then disassembled the car to check for abnormal
wear/tear... NOTHING.... So a good few bursts on the freeway for a VW was
recommended
.

    I carried this philosophy over to break ins on my '95 Dakota, and my wifes '96
Corolla... I drove 55-60 on the freeway, never tached the Dakota over 3000 rpm
for the first 100 miles, then not more than 3500 rpm until 500 miles... I did run
hard acceleration a few times in 3rd and 4th @ around 100 miles, but never over
3500 rpm. The same with the Corolla. On my Dakota I ran until 5000 miles on the
original oil, then went with Penz.(dealer used it) for the next 5000, and @ 10000
miles went to Mobil 1, and have used Mobil 1 every 5000 there after... I plan on
doing the same with my wife's Corolla... To date I have never had to add ANY oil
(I'm at 48800 miles) between changes, and the oil still has some color to it @ the
oil change...

    One other thing that I do (probably stupid, but it works for me) is to let the
truck warm up 3-4 minutes in the morning before I take off for work/play... And I
don't run the AC or defrost (if I can help it) until thetemperature gauge comes
off of 'C'... So that the truck is 'warmed up' before I add another 'load' to
it... Secondly, in the summer before I shut down after a trip and/or towing... I
run the heater for 3-4 minutes @ high to pull as much heat as I can from the
engine...

    That's my thoughts!

    BTW: I STILL haven't touched my brakes!!! I figure I will replace the
rotors/pads/shoes, turn drums, and flush the fluid @ 50000 miles... So that SHOULD
get me to 100000 with only one brake service...

    Sam '95 SLT Dakota...