RE: To Pump or not to Pump? Rear Only Anti-lock Brakes

From: Craig Baltzer (CBaltzer@Anjura.COM)
Date: Wed Dec 18 1996 - 17:35:58 EST

Any of the classes I've been to always say "never, never, never pump the
brakes". Threshold braking is what you want to achieve. Smoothly
increase brake pressure until the point of impending lockup, and if
lockup occurs lift off smoothly until traction is restored. Never "jump
on" or "jump out of" the brake pedal.

Pumping wastes a ton of braking potential as time is spent with no
braking happening at all, followed by periods of lock up which are
inefficient braking.

Craig