Irregular tire wear -Reply

From: Scott Lemser (SLEMSER@Compucom)
Date: Fri Dec 20 1996 - 11:47:05 EST

Scott Lemser

>>> Dave Hornback <hornback@qualcomm.com> 12/19/96
08:02pm >>>

You Wrote;
I'm having problems with the stock Wrangler A/T's that
came on my 95 4x4.
They have developed a cupping type of wear pattern that
you would see with
bad shocks or bad balancing.

I've kept them infated properly, rotated every 5k miles,
balanced, and even
had it aligned at 12k miles. Now at 18k miles it looks like
they are going
to bite the dust before 22-25K.

I've had the same problem with my last two vehicles.....
maybe I drive too
fast? The average speed for my commute is 75-80 for 20
miles. Do I need to
get a better speed rated tire? Do they make truck tires that
can handle
prolonged speed? (A round trip to Lake Tahoe put about
1,600 high speed
miles on them, a ski trip yesterday put on 350 miles)

Thanks, Dave

Dave,
This is an inherent problem with the Wrangler A/T. It has
been known for some time that this tire wears unevenly,
and has very low life expectancies. Speed has little to do
with it.
Radial tires without a stated speed rating ("s", "h", "v" ) are
designed to sustain speeds of approx. 90 MPH.
For light duty off-road use consider the BFG Trail T/A,
Dunlop Radial Rover R/V, Michelin LTX or a favorite of
mine, Bridgestones' Super Digger 5.
There is only one "speed rated" truck tire that I am aware
of. Mickey Thompsons Baja Belted HP. It is not a radial but
wears very well and you can't beat the handling for an
All-Terrain type tire.