RE: Irregular tire wear

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Fri Dec 20 1996 - 18:54:54 EST

From: scottp@seca.com@INTERNET on Fri, Dec 20, 1996 11:40 AM

Dave Hornback wrote:

>> I'm having problems with the stock Wrangler A/T's that came on my 95 4x4.
>> They have developed a cupping type of wear pattern that you would see
with
>> bad shocks or bad balancing.
>>
>> I've kept them infated properly, rotated every 5k miles, balanced, and
even
>> had it aligned at 12k miles. Now at 18k miles it looks like they are
going
>> to bite the dust before 22-25K.

>Dave, if your last two vehicles had Goodyear rubber,it's not you, it's
>those crummy Wranglers. OK, they handle well enough, but longevity-wise,
>they suck, period. I guess Dodge is still spec'ing them on Dakotas? They
>were stock on my '89 4x4, I rotated them religiously, and they lasted
>like 16-17k. I haven't talked to ANYONE who would recommended them
>(other than a Goodyear dealer). I'll never get another set of Wranglers
>or any other Goodyear tire for that matter.

Well here's a look from the other side. I have generally found Goodyear
tires that have a 40k mile gaurentee to last in the range of 60k miles. The
P-Metric Wranglers on my Dakota have lasted in the 50-60k range (on the
fourth set). The front Gatorbacks on my Daytona lasted to 70k miles and the
original rears are still on there at 98k miles. My biggest complaint about
Goodyears has been they are some what pricey and the additional miles do not
offset the price premium.

Dave Clement