Shifting RPM's

From: Ken L Mansfield (KMansfie@compucom.com)
Date: Mon Dec 23 1996 - 22:34:27 EST

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about my '92 LE V-8 auto shifting at
different RPM's at WOT. Well, I started paying attention and I
found that it shifts 1-2 at around 5400 (yee-ha!), 2-3 at 4400
(ho-hum), 3-4 at 5000 (Um, I think. I haven't done that too many
times).

What do ya'll think is the problem here?

Also, when I changed my fluid/filter, I could not adjust the kick-down
band. Now, my WOT downshifts are slow to happen or even not at all.
 Did my failure to adjust the kick-down at the last service cause this?
It really seems to have happened "overnight," not gradually, which is
a bit implausible.

Another symptom the tranny exhibits is an occasional bit of
indecision when going 1-2 at WOT, like it goes into 2nd, then back to
1st to finish off the final few hundred RPM's, then back into 2nd. It
can best be described as somewhat similiar to a slipping clutch.

I've checked the throttle linkage to ensure that it is fully extended
when the pedal is pressed to the floor, so I don't think it is a result of
throttle position. Maybe a faulty throttle position sensor (is there
such a thing on our precious Daks?).

Another change in the equation is the use of Mobil 1 ATF for the first
time.

C'mon, you tranny tech-heads, lemme hear some chatter!

Thanks,

Ken (still 15K left on the warranty) Mansfield