Re: Break In -Reply -Reply

From: Ken L Mansfield (KMansfie@compucom.com)
Date: Mon Dec 23 1996 - 22:08:54 EST

Troy,

Here, in Dallas, we don't have winter "from October to March" like
you must, where ever you live. For instance, it was 71 and sunny
yesterday, Dec. 22. As for staying home from work due to weather,
not much of that, either.

I guess I would rather warm it up idling so I can stomp and go, instead
of having to drive sedately anytime!

Filter? I usually get the Purolator Heavy Duty (a bit larger than
large). Pep Boys always has it on the shelf and I'm not too picky,
especially after spending $15 on oil.

klm

>>> "Actor Troy McClure" <scottv@msn.fullfeed.com> 12/23/96
02:44am >>>
Ken wrote:

> Since new, I have let the Dak, upon starting, run for:
>
> 2 min if the outside temp is 65 or higher
> 3-4 min if 32-65
> 5+ min if less than 32
> Stay home w/ the wife if below zero
>
> Same goes for momma's Ram Wagon.
>
> That, plus Mobil 1 every 5K will take us a LONG way!
>
> BTW, I went over 80K before have ANY brake work done.
>
> klm

Jeez! Letting it idle for five minutes every day from October to
March seems a
little bit excessive. Plus I'd have to do it twice: Once when I leave
home and
once when I leave work.

I have read that the best way to warm up a vehicle to drive it at a
moderate
pace. No racing the engine or 5000-rpm launches in first gear.

I don't know if I'd agree with the part about staying home when the
temps go
below zero. That would mean quite a few days off of work. :^)

Seriously, I am thinking about running Mobil 1 after my 6K oil
change. What
filters do you use?

-Scott Vieth http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/~scottv

'68 Camaro RS, 327/PG
'97 Dakota Sport 4x4 Club Cab, 5.2L/5-spd