Re: Isn't 4wd Great!!!

From: Jon N. Steiger (stei0302@penny.cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 24 1996 - 00:10:31 EST

>After listening to various members toll the virtures of a 4wd Dakota for the
>past few months, I eagerly awaited Victoria's first major snowfall after
>gettting my new Dakota (sometimes this takes three or four years to occur).

   Yep. I remember that discussion. :) In fact, I thought a lot about
it while driving in 2+ feet of snow last week. I didn't get 4wd for
a few reasons, but mostly because it was a lot of money, and I figured I'd
only want it a few of months out of the year.

   But during those few months, boy do I wish I had ordered it! :)
My brother was driving his Blazer across our front lawn, up a
20-30% grade, while I'm hoping I can make it out of the driveway. :P
Pretty darn impressive, if just a wee bit embarrassing. :)

  I'll have to see how the next few winters go, but I'm seriously
considering making my next Dakota a 4x4. Speaking of which, how
does the 4x4 Dakota compare to a Blazer? I was just reading an
article in some off-roading magazine where the new Dakota 4x4 trashed
the full size Chevy and Ford trucks. No mention of the Blazer though.
  I'm comparing it to the Blazer because its the only 4x4 I have
any experience with.

  I really hate this weather. :P IMHO, its only reedeeming value is
that its really fun to do stuff like drive sideways, skid around
corners, spin the rear tires and see how long you can maintain
a straight path, etc... Just tell people you're honing your skills
so you can handle emergency situations. :) Actually, "screwing around"
like this has saved my butt a couple of times because it has given
me excellent "instincts" about how certain control inputs will
affect the truck, much more so than someone who drives 20mph,
both hands clamped on the wheel, sitting frozen in fear anytime
there's a little snow on the road... When winter comes, I usually
find an empty parking lot somewhere and work the cobwebs out. Even if
I had a 4x4, it'd be in 2wd most of the time. :)

  I sure could have used it last week though. Maybe a plow too. :)

                                              -Jon-

  | Jon Steiger | '96 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 |
  | stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu | '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |
  | http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ | '91 Yamaha FZR600R * |
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ |
                                                      * == For Sale!