Re: Break In -Reply -Reply -Reply

From: Ken L Mansfield (KMansfie@compucom.com)
Date: Sun Dec 29 1996 - 23:31:13 EST

James,

Can you substantiate your opinion that "Cars are no longer meant to
warm up before being driven?"

My Dak has an old OHV pushrod V-8 that car makers have used for
most of the years cars have been around. If you're talking about a
small motor, I would agree. On a rented Geo Metro, I noticed the
TEMP gauge started moving withing seconds of starting the engine.
However, these big iron V-8's take longer.

And regarding pollution, true, the mixture will be "rich" until the
proper temp is met, but am I putting out more "bad stuff" while I idle
cold and warming, or driving around cold and spewing a higher amount
of unburned hydrocarbons?

Also, the only color on my plugs is a healthy pink from a lifetime diet
of Exxon 93.

Hope ya'll had a Merry Christmas. It was shorts-and-T-shirt weather
here in Dallas.

klm

>>> James Babcock <james.a.babcock@relay.adn.alcatel.com>
12/24/96 07:16am >>>
Ken-

I hate to dump cold water on your procedure, but here are my
comments:

1. Cars are no longer meant to warm up before being driven. The best
thing that you can do for your motor is leave right away after
starting,
especially in mild weather. Idleing will tend to foul the plugs
and contributes alot to air pollution until the enriched mode is
completed. Placing the engine under load and burning more fuel
as a result will warm the engine much more quickly than at idle.