Warmup

From: Jane or Larry Elliott (elliott@serv.net)
Date: Tue Dec 31 1996 - 21:21:14 EST

Like Dave, my '92 only gets warmed up enough to scrape the windows when
it's icy out. Otherwise it's started up and driven off at a moderate rate
of speed, with 3.55 rear end it's only turning about 2350 rpm at 60-65
mph. The reasoning that I've read and heard about driving at a moderate
pace after startup is that the transmission and differential(s) also have
cold lube that needs to be warmed up too, which can only be done by
driving. Even with synthetic gear oil my 5 sp'd doesn't shift too sweetly
when it's cold, drive it a bit and it's just fine.

My neighbor had a Chevy that he warmed up for a good 15 minutes even in
what passes for summer weather in the Seattle area. It'd sit there just
howling away at hi idle, and in no time it was burning oil. The gas
washes the oil off the cylinder walls, no lube = increased wear on
cylinders and pistons.

Larry