RE: SBEC Failure

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Tue Dec 03 1996 - 07:57:40 EST

From: JLee861054@aol.com@INTERNET on Mon, Dec 2, 1996 10:49 PM

>The Haynes manual tells me that 92 Dakota with the 5.2 V8 has
>an electric fuel pump in the gas tank, doesn't that rule out vapor
>lock??? Any ideas ????

Had the same problem you described with my wifes Ford and it turned out to
be a plugged fuel filter. After I changed it I realized I had been very very
bad, it was the original filter and had been in the car for 70k+ miles. Any
way the car acted just like yours and would start and run fine for a few
minutes if you let the car cool down for 10 minutes or so. I even poured
water on the fuel rail which accomplished the same thing as waiting 10
minutes. All this happened on a 100+ degree day with a car full of kids.

This was a case that Ford had a better idea the filter is under the hood and
could be changed with out tools. I later changed the fule pump because it
started making noises but was still generating pressure within spec.

Dave Clement