automatic oerdrive transmission lock out

From: Bruce Bexte (bruceb@direct.ca)
Date: Tue Jan 07 1997 - 22:10:14 EST

Hi my 97 has the aod. tranny in it and in cold weather at highway speeds the tranny will
lock out the overdrive gear. My owners manual says, note if the vehicle is started in
ambient temperatures of -5 f (-20 c) or below the overdrive will not turn on.This
protects the transmission from damage if the transmission oil cooling system freezes.
Overdrive operation will resume when the ambient temperature has rision to approximately
2 f (-17 c).Thats what the book says. Hear in the reel world in Calgary this means that
in the winter you can expect severl days a year when you only have a three speed tranny.
I found this to be simple horse shit, when I questioned my dealer on it they sayed thats
the way it goes to bad so sad. I found this to be just a little short of the response I
wanted. So next step call Chrysler Canada to rase shit,that was two weeks ago. Today I
got a call from a very shocked service manager letting me know the chrysler enganeers
have a program change for the tranny.So if you have on of the new Dakotas you may want
to hound your dealer.

ps. thanks for your time Bruce.