Re: NHTSA evaluation of RAM steering/airbag inflators -Reply

From: Scott Lemser (SLEMSER@Compucom)
Date: Tue Jan 07 1997 - 17:44:29 EST

>>> <mahoneyr@syr.lmco.com> 01/07/97 03:33pm
>>>WROTE:
<SNIP>
 I am now on my
5th visit for my transmission problem (I posted help notices
HERE but alas
no one else could help me either!-I shift into and out of
overdrive
continuously after the truck warms up at high speeds. After
the problem
occurs at high speeds, I can slow down and the problem
still
remains.)
Please help me solve this problem!
-Rick
'90 4x4 3.9L automatic 8'Bed regular cab Dakotarama
-Love the truck-Hate the Dealer

Rick,
You may have noted this before and I missed it, BUT,
"Have you changed the tire size of the truck?" And if so, Did
you change the gear ratio as well?.

This may not apply to your problem, But if you went up
more than an inch or so in tire diameter without raising
(numerically) the axle ratio, it would cause the (V6) vehicle
to cycle in and out of O/D.
For those who may not know, increasing the tire diameter is
the same as decreasing (numerically) the gear ratio.
What may have been a 3.55 : 1 ratio with the stock 26" tires
may well be the equivalent of a 2.73 : 1 with a 30 or 31 inch
tire. When the .73 O/D is activated, that 2.73 : 1 becomes a
1.99 : 1. This is great for sub-sonic top-end speed, but
otherwise sucks.