Re: Transmissions

From: mahoneyr@syr.lmco.com
Date: Sat Jan 11 1997 - 09:33:58 EST

Jim McBride asked in my last post, after I mentioned that my '90 Dak
was about to be trade-in Bait:

> You are going to trade up to a '97 aren't you?

Well - heres the poop regarding what Edmunds has to say about the '97
Dakota:

ChryCo really missed the Boat on this one. They had a chance to make the
BEST truck of the year, but they blew it in three ways:

1) They did not put a passenger side Airbag Cutoff switch in.
 - I have a Baby girl and a Car Seat may or may not (I haven't checked)
   fit in the back seat of the cab. If it doesn't - I cant buy it. *No
   car seats in the front seat because of the Airbag*
2) The '97 Dakota still does not meet 1999 Side Impact Safety Stds.
 - I realize they don't have to yet, but I do thinks safety counts for
   something and most vehicles DO now meet this standard.
3) There is no third door on the extended Cabs.
 - They definitely shoulda coulda woulda put the third door on the
   cab. I mean After all ChyrCo did invent the 2nd Sliding door on the
   back of Mini vans, How much trouble would it have been to put a 3rd
   door on the Daks?

With these comments, I think I might just wait and see what the '98
model brings! Whatdoyouallthink?
-Rick