Re: Upgrading to a '97

From: Actor Troy McClure (scottv@msn.fullfeed.com)
Date: Sat Jan 11 1997 - 10:43:19 EST

Rick wrote:

> Well - heres the poop regarding what Edmunds has to say about the '97
> Dakota:
>
> ChryCo really missed the Boat on this one. They had a chance to make the
> BEST truck of the year, but they blew it in three ways:
>
> 1) They did not put a passenger side Airbag Cutoff switch in.
> - I have a Baby girl and a Car Seat may or may not (I haven't checked)
> fit in the back seat of the cab. If it doesn't - I cant buy it. *No
> car seats in the front seat because of the Airbag*

I believe that car seats go in the "back seat" directly behind the
front seat's armrest. Will your childseat fit there?

> 2) The '97 Dakota still does not meet 1999 Side Impact Safety Stds.
> - I realize they don't have to yet, but I do thinks safety counts for
> something and most vehicles DO now meet this standard.

I didn't really think of that when I bought mine.

> 3) There is no third door on the extended Cabs.
> - They definitely shoulda coulda woulda put the third door on the
> cab. I mean After all ChyrCo did invent the 2nd Sliding door on the
> back of Mini vans, How much trouble would it have been to put a 3rd
> door on the Daks?

The front seats fold forward and the whole seat assembly slides forward to
make it easier to get in and out of the back. I think it works
pretty well. I can get groceries, gym bag, etc. out of the back seat
without much trouble. Then you just slide the whole seat back, and
kick the backrest part up until it locks. Give it a try at a local
dealership.

> With these comments, I think I might just wait and see what the '98
> model brings! Whatdoyouallthink?
> -Rick

Nah, the '98s are gonna be slower and ulgier. The '97s will be the
best Dakotas ever made!!! ;^) ;^) ;^)

=Scott Vieth http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/~scottv
'68 Camaro RS, 327/PG
'97 Dakota Sport 4x4 Club Cab, Magnum V8/5-spd