Re: Auto (fortunately)

From: Robert P. Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Sat Jan 25 1997 - 19:36:01 EST

At 04:15 PM 1/24/97 -0800, you wrote:

>>I love my auto! Get's lonely on the list for us auto guys. I've never
>>driven a 5spd. Driven very few sticks only for short distances...
>>Might not know what I'm missing, but I'm more than satisfied with the
>>auto...
>>
>>Michael Clark mike@snakebite.com
>>--hope to get my sig. file back
>>in a few days......

Mike, you're not the only one that prefers an automatic.

I've driven trucks/cars both with and w/o automatics. Back in the 70's,
when trucks had three speed
automatics w/o lock-up torque converters, the big advantage of a gear shift
was the fourth gear. You could get all the pulling power your needed with
first, but got the highway fuel economy with fourth. With
the automatic, for power you ran 4:11's with and ran 3500 rpm at 65 mph (or
thereabouts)- 10 mpg always. If you wanted fuel economy, you ran 3:55's,
but it was sluggish until highway speeds, or you got a 440.

The automatic in my 97 Dakota has solved all that. Plus no more burning
clutches when pulling the boat out of the water, or plowing through snow.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, British Columbia
Canada