Re: 96 mods (was help)

From: sam_p@ix.netcom.com
Date: Mon Jan 27 1997 - 12:43:37 EST

On 01/26/97 12:13:09 you wrote:

><< yes i have true duals with 1 O2 sensor on the right side
>
> there is no H pipe or Y pipe
> 2 cats, 2 mufflers
> 2.5"pipes
> 3" chrome tips out the rear >>
>
>How did you route them and what type of mufflers?
>
>Bill

        I California, if the truck/car has only 1 O2 sensor, you can't
add a second, even w/2 CATs I have been told...

        All this talk of true DUALS on a Dakota got me thinking about
an article in Sport Truck Magazine from a few years ago... I read
about a 'dual' exhaust truck done by Ed Hansen of Spring Valley, CA.
(Casa de Oro is really where it is), and it was a dual exhaust
on a short bed Dakota... I can't find the magazine, but remember
the pictures... At the Y pipe, the driver's side, and passenger side
come next to eachother (don't connect), then follow parallel to the
CAT, where they both attach together into 1 cat (O2 sensor was moved
to this point, prior to the CAT). Once leaving the CAT 2 pipes
emerge..2-2.5", into DUAL flowmasters mounted next to eachothere
@ 90 degree angle, vs. being mounted with wide sections horizontal...
From there the 2 pipes route out, and around and exit straight out the
rear.

        It was a 'great' setup ('92-'93 I think), but now for performance
the best route is to go with a single 3" setup...(As per everyone I have
spoken too, plus Ed Hansen...) The cost of doing a dual the 'right way'
is too expensive to be worth while...

        I figure the same about the headers... If I have any
'LESS' back pressure than I have now, I know my MP SBEC will do
weird things... My stock SBEC already has a hicup in the morning
with the way things are... (My '91 non-mag V8 with 3" flowmaster had
the same problem/symptom-- Morning 'sickness'... Sluggish, flat spot
off idle, etc.)

        Before you spend the bucks, ask around!! You'll be glad you did..

I plan on doing a 'test drive' recording (Like Kuk. did with the
boom box) to let people hear the in-cab sounds while driving
mellow; inside the shell while driving mellow; and some 'passing'
runs 5th to 4th to 5th (@ around 105 mph :), and then the 'olde
1-2-3-4..(parachute) runs.. :) Plus I have some pictures to finally
post of my truck !! (Hauling a tree I cut down; parked; and once it
quits raining I'll clean my truck to get a GOOD picture!!)

        Sam '95 SLT...
        Last Tank O-gas:$33.50 to fill up, 14.9 mpg (city/hwy/goingfast!)