Re: pecking noise

From: James Babcock (james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com)
Date: Mon Feb 03 1997 - 11:14:51 EST

This is quite interesting. I didn't know that the '87 has fault codes.
I guess I need to find out how to retrieve them...can it be done without
a special scanner?

I don't think that the O2 sensor has anything to do with the operation
of the engine except when idleing. It provides feedback for the idle
position solinoid, but when the carb is off idle has no method to
control the engine. I would think that the O2 sensor could be ignored
except in the case where the vehicle will not pass an emissions test.
Tell me if I'm off base here. I haven't read the FSM in detail regarding
the computer.

My thoughts about poor performance this time of year would be related
to oxygenated fuels. My truck drops from 15 in town to around 10
when the exygenated fuels are used. Acceleration really gets bad
too. My commute to work is very short though (7 min.),
and I don't think that the choke is full open for very long.

-Jim.
'87 V6 auto 4x4

--
James A. Babcock, Software Engineer   email: james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com