Re: 2" exhaust system?

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Thu Feb 06 1997 - 18:33:55 EST

DesignTech@worldnet.att.net wrote:

> doesn't anyone out there have a true dual exhaust system like i do??
>
> the factory plumbing to the cat is the part you have to get rid of, it has
> a kink in it. i trashed the whole system and started over new with two 2.5"
> pipes, 2 cats and 2 one piece turbos, and to top it off with 2 3" chrome
> tips

  Where do you live? I assume you are not registering the truck
in one of the areas that disallow modification of the basic
stock exhaust configuration. Your exhaust system would be illegal
here in Durham County, NC. Consider yourself lucky.

  Have you integrated an H-pipe in your system? I seem to remember
that a dual exhaust system without a crossover can introduce some
nasty harmonics through exhaust pulses, and possibly even increase
backpressure in some conditions. You might be able to squeeze some
more performance by adding a crossover.

  Isn't there a trick to determine the correct crossover location
that involves spraying paint at the approximate location, and welding
the H-pipe in at the first point where the paint burns off? Never
done it myself.

  Ron