Re: Neon attitude -Reply

From: Jason B. Bleazard (jmbleazard@xactware.com)
Date: Wed Feb 12 1997 - 11:57:16 EST

I wasn't going to reply to this discussion (since it isn't very Dakota related),
but I can't resist.

I used to drive a Neon before I got the Dakota. I didn't get around to doing
any performance upgrades before I traded it in. That little stock
four-banger moved surprisingly well. Mostly because the car only weighs
about 12.5 pounds (I know it doesn't really; I'm being facetious). Where it
was really fun was through the corners. If you have to actually slow down
for a corner I think you'll have a tough time following one of those things
through. It certainly wasn't a "real" sports car and it was really cheap and
flimsy, but it was quite a bit of fun per dollar.

The Neon certainly moved faster than my 3.9L 4x4 Dakota. I know you
leadfoots don't want to hear that, but you have to realize that I haven't
spent the money upgrading the speed of the Dak because I don't really
care how fast it moves. I'll still be waiting for you at the top of the mountain
:-).

Within a year of buying the Neon I realized that living in Utah requires a
4x4. Partially because of snow, partially because our roads here are full of
chuckholes, but mostly because you really can't enjoy the mountains until
you get off the pavement. Now, instead of trying to race with these little
cars I just threaten to park on top of them. It's just as intimidating.