Re: shortening axle housing

From: Andre Mauboussin (andrem@cyberramp.net)
Date: Wed Feb 12 1997 - 18:55:34 EST

Sean_P_Meldrum@Auto.ittind.com wrote:

> anyone ever have an axle housing and the axles shortened? i've seen
> adds for moser eng., etc. for $85 for the axles but no mention of the
> housing. besides, i'd probably wouldn't want to do it mail order
> anyway....there's someone here in the detroit area i'm sure. i've been
> looking at custom rims for my '97 sport and it's a real pain. between
> the 6x4.5 bolt pattern and the huge positive offset there's
> practically nothing out there. any suggestions on what any of you are
> running? i priced a set of the stock steel rally wheels that come on
> the base dakota this year (they look like the old police style mopar
> ralleyes) and they were $145 each thru the dealer!!!! cripes, the hood
> is only $190!!! i was going to get a set of these and have 2 of 'em
> widened to 9" for the back but the place i called for that wanted $150
> per wheel. that'd be $900 for a set of steel wheels!!
>
> i really want to get like a 285/70/15 in the back but the centerline
> of the wheel/tire needs to move inboard so the tire doesn't hang out.
> i either need to find a wheel with a 2.5" positive offset (centerline
> to mounting plane) or shorten up the housing so i can use a normal
> backspaced type wheel. then there's still the bolt pattern thing.
> anybody got any ideas?
>
> sean
> '97 318,5spd,3.55SG
> sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com

Hey Sean!
I have a 95 Sport and I've been looking for wheels also. Just found out
that Weld Wheels makes some new truck wheels in our bolt pattern with
the offset you need. They make 15x8s and 15x7s and possibly some in 16".
Prices are very reasonable at $125-$135 ea from a dealer I found on the
internet. I'm going to find their URL now and send it to you.

Andre Mauboussin
95Dak sprt V8/5spd/390SG 14.80@92mph