Wheels

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Thu Feb 13 1997 - 20:05:35 EST

Thanks folks, for all the great info on wheels. Now that the truck is
paid for, I'm thinking up plenty of ways to spend money on it, but
improving street traction is definitely under consideration.

So, has anyone thought of using really low profile tires on larger-diameter
rims? I was thinking perhaps of 275/45Z17, on a custom rim. On a 4x4 the
wheel arches look empty with the stock 235/75-15s, and only a bit better
with the 31/10.5-15s now installed.

The 31/10.5-15s would be my off-road wheel/tire setup, and the 17" setup
for most of the miles (freeways). And I'd like that setup to be close to
the 31" setup for overall diameter (can't get away with much bigger).
Does anyone have a chart with the recommended rim width, overall diameter,
and overall width of a couple 17" tire/wheel combinations?

What'd really be neat would be some huge 21" or 22" rims like the Chrysler
Atlantic show car had, but I suspect those tires are one-offs for the
prices car companies can pay for show vehicles, and well beyond the means
of a lowly software engineer. Besides, I'd be putting lots of miles on
these, so readily available tires is a factor.

Jim
   @..@ ,Sam
              ^^ ~~ ^^