Winch idea - untried

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Tue Feb 18 1997 - 20:44:11 EST

I've seen a number of winch-mount bumpers in the aftermarket, but I don't
like any of them. Since I have access to welding equipment, I had the idea
of making my own bumpers. As yet though, I haven't followed through and
built any for either end.

What I had in mind was to use ovalized thick-wall steel tubing stacked and
welded together, cutout to accept receiver hitch mounts. I haven't the
facility to bend heavy tubing, so I plan to section and weld the tubing to
conform to the front curve of the truck, and to wrap the bumpers back in to
the body at the ends. The idea is to mount the bumper securely to the frame
with enough rigidity to actually help stiffen the frame, and provide the
maximum strength for the rear tow mount. Up front, and at the rear corners,
I would also mount receiver hitches - for a total of six mount points.

Here's where the winch mount idea comes in. I would mount the winch to a
sled of plate steel - also with a receiver hitch. The winch could either
be mounted in any of the six hardpoints on the bumpers, or used with a
chain or additional cable to pull other things.

As far as power is concerned - welding sockets at either end of the truck,
and a couple of different lengths of welding cable with appropriate plugs,
and a remote-operated control (if not already with the winch) would work
quite nicely I think.

A far cheaper and quicker version of this would be to mount a commercially
available receiver hitch out back, and bolt a hitch directly to the front
frame. You might have to trim the front air dam, but you're likely to mess
it up off-road anyway!

Jim
   @..@ ,Sam
              ^^ ~~ ^^