Re: COMPRESSION TEST

From: Nelson Sendino (nsendino@ed.co.sanmateo.ca.us)
Date: Wed Feb 19 1997 - 00:22:00 EST

When I installed the Accel Supercoil and one Nology
(http://nology.com/hotwires.htm) coil-to-distributor wire my truck got at
least 1 mpg more. I also noticed a little gain in hp throughout the whole
rpm range. I showed this setup to my brother-in-law who has a 5.9l Ram with
similar mods. He wanted to try it pretty badly so we installed it in his
truck and he said that he noticed a little more power and ended up buying it
from me. In the week that it took me to get the same setup back on my truck
I noticed much less power and the gas mileage went to hell. Maybe the SBEC
had to reanalyze the data (less spark)? I posted a message earlier today
about how unhappy with the perfomance of these JBA shorty headers I was. I
installed them Sunday afternoon and it has been sucking in too much air and
making that sound that new V-8 Dakota owners end up getting used to. Well
it has finally died down (Tuesday night)and after I took it to my personal
dragstrip (about 1/8 of a mile with a slightly uphill grade), I hit the
marking sign at 79 mph; 4 mph faster than with the stock exhaust manifolds.
Don't know what that translates to in hp but the truck's running a lot
better and with more power everywhere. I guess it takes a couple of days for
the computer to figure everything out.?.

 - Nelson Sendino