Re: Ignition Upgrades

From: Andre Mauboussin (andrem@cyberramp.net)
Date: Thu Feb 20 1997 - 10:14:58 EST

Sean_P_Meldrum@Auto.ittind.com wrote:

> Kuk,
>
> Is there a benefit to having the single fat spark as opposed to the
> multiple spark? Did you notice any difference between the two?
>
> As for the hot ignition fixing the pinging....if pinging is actually
> "pre-ignition" than my guess would be no. Pre-ignition can be caused
> by timing, low octane fuel, and high cylinder temperatures. Has
> anyone tried red line's water wetter additive for the cooling system?
> It's supposed to be good for a 10-30 degree drop in temp. The new
> chevy 350 LT1 engines are set up to flow coolant through the heads
> first to ensure lower combustion chamber temp.'s so they can run an
> increased compression ratio.
>
> Can the timing be backed off slightly on a Magnum? I know this would
> kill a little power but would definitly get rid of the ping. Another
> option would be a multi-step retard unit like MSD makes. It could be
> set to back of timing at a certain rpm level. This would actually
> allow you to advance the timing a bit and still pull it back to a 'no
> ping' level as the rpm rises.
>
> sean
> sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com

The dealer can retard the timing a few degrees as far as I know. I have
the MP Sbec and a Jacobs Ultra Team on my truck and I experience some
pinging under full throttle acceleration. Their tech guy said to run one
step colder plugs and that should take care of it. I'll try it in a few
weeks(Ineed to change the cap and rotor too) and post the results.

Andre Mauboussin