Re[2]: Ignition Upgrades

From: Sean_P_Meldrum@Auto.ittind.com
Date: Thu Feb 20 1997 - 06:01:21 EST

     Kuk,

     Is there a benefit to having the single fat spark as opposed to the
     multiple spark? Did you notice any difference between the two?

     As for the hot ignition fixing the pinging....if pinging is actually
     "pre-ignition" than my guess would be no. Pre-ignition can be caused
     by timing, low octane fuel, and high cylinder temperatures. Has
     anyone tried red line's water wetter additive for the cooling system?
     It's supposed to be good for a 10-30 degree drop in temp. The new
     chevy 350 LT1 engines are set up to flow coolant through the heads
     first to ensure lower combustion chamber temp.'s so they can run an
     increased compression ratio.

      Can the timing be backed off slightly on a Magnum? I know this would
     kill a little power but would definitly get rid of the ping. Another
     option would be a multi-step retard unit like MSD makes. It could be
     set to back of timing at a certain rpm level. This would actually
     allow you to advance the timing a bit and still pull it back to a 'no
     ping' level as the rpm rises.

     sean
     sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com