Re: FW: Back to the gas question...

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Thu Feb 20 1997 - 13:18:52 EST

Rick,
        The only AI in the SBEC is Algorithmic Intelligence. The computer
has a set of EEPROMs (Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory)
and some von-volatile (sic) memory that is battery-backed-up. There are
also some 'hard-wired' masked ROMs. Your driving parameters are stored in
the "non-volatile" memory, which is lost if the battery is disconnected
long enough for the hold-up capacitor to discharge. There is some limited
capability to change the computer's behavior via EEPROM updates -- dealer
service, as well as SBEC wear program (I believe). Most of the program
is in ROM. I think most of the program on the Mopar Performance SBEC is
in EPROM, which can more easily be updated (but the chips cost too much
for production use).

        I don't believe any Dakota has a knock sensor. GM and Ford are
the only domestic manufacturers with fast enough engine controllers to
take advantage of them. ChryCo is still using 8-bit controllers, where
GM and Ford have 32-bit controllers in most V-8 applications (still 8-bit
in most 4-cyl for cost). Ford is planning to use PowerPCs (was going to
be Moto 88000 family, but Moto switched to a PPC core) in their next
generation of controllers, which will give them 64-bit controllers. GM
is using Moto 683xx-family, and they seem to have plenty of room for
expansion. Looking at what the computer in the new C5 Corvette does -
pretty damn impressive.

        I think I read where ChryCo is planning to use PPC controllers
in their next generation - need them to meet '98 emissions with the V10.
Expect knock sensors on those cars - Viper, (Chrysler 300), Big Ram.

        The above is speculation based on a fair amount of reading. I
don't KNOW most of this for certain, so don't quote me.

Jim

   @..@ ,Sam
              ^^ ~~ ^^