Re: Re[2]: Knock Detector on 97 Dakota

From: Robert P. Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Thu Feb 20 1997 - 17:09:43 EST

At 04:53 PM 2/20/97 EDT, you wrote:
> Thanks for goin' the extra mile Rob. It seemed odd that everyone
> would be having ping problems if there was a knock detector. I just
> assumed there would be as most of todays vehicles do.
>
> sean

Sean:

You're not the only one who made this assumption. When I questioned the
service manager of a CC dealer, here
in Victoria, about what I thought was pinging (not like the ping from the
old Volare on 87 octane), but
increased noise above 2,000 rpm (SLT is heavily sound isolated), he told me
it couldn't be as the Dakota HAS
a knock detector .... pretty scary from a service manager!

I took my regular mechanic for a ride (he was thrilled when he got to drive
it ... even before my wife!), and he thinks it's exhaust noise. He's been
doing propane conversions on Daks for 5 years. I run 89 octane and the
noise didn't change even with 94 octane.

But, being a real fuss-arse, I insist that the dealer run diagnostics when
it gets it's first service (4 month) in March.

Cheers.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, British Columbia